Friday, October 19, 2012

Bumps in the Roads, Detours, & Assorted Wonders

I met a fellow at the studio whom I instantly bonded with who was receiving a lesson from Ellen. He and I spoke amiably while Ellen set up and looked like she was having some problems. When I sat down at the table, she indicated that she couldn't get anything to work and immediately called the tech guru Richard. While we waited and chatted, as I prepared myself for another week off ! I gave her a copy of my first book, Alan's Italy: The Birth of a Television Show, autographed, with a lovely card, all to give partial thanks for her herculean efforts to get me on the air each week for the past 10 months. Richard arrived, looked very serious, but in that commanding sense of competence that he displays when he is working to get us on the air, gave me the impression that I would not be having another week off. Surely enough he pressed that switch, this button, another flick of a switch and voila, we were on the air. Off we went a few minutes late, but immersing myself into my intro photos and my first "good evening, welcome to Alan's Italy." I started to tell the audience about my book, and then Ellen said loudly, in that voice that only means, there are more troubles, "Alan, the DVD didn't start to record." Unperturbed I said, "Ok let's start again," and off we went into another take thinking, how did live TV go on for so long ?" Finally things started to roll, and I began yet again by showing my new book just published, and explained to the audience that proceeds from the sales will be contributed to the Town of Woodstock to be used for the Woodstock Public Access Television Station for their expenses. Just go to xlibris.com, and help out the TV studio. My second book, Alan's Italy: My Personal Journey, the topic of which are my 20 years of Italian travel, will be published within the month, and will hopefully defray some of the costs I have incurred getting on the air and sustaining this show. I then reviewed a topic about which my recollections were a bit muddled during the last show. I was flummoxed by the different styles of capitals on Greek and Roman columns, so gave a short lecture on that topic, feeling very proud of myself for finally figuring out a not so difficult topic that an Italophile like me should know by now. Then off into Milan by starting with a brief set of reasons why someone would not want to stay in Milan if they are flying out of Malpensa Airport, 45 mins north-west of Milan. I revisited two of my favorite places, Lake Como and Lake Maggiore, and also Lake Lugano in Switzerland, and the town of Bergamo, all within a short drive to the airport. Then I made up for the Milan "put down" by establishing Milan as the center of world class art, fashion, and beauty that it rightly is. I focussed on the things I have always visited during my many, albeit brief stops in Milan waiting for my plane back to the USA or someone for my connecting flight. My favorite museum, Poldi Pezzoli, favorite piazza, Piazza del Duomo, Favorite Church (in the world), the Milan Cathedral, and some favorite hangouts such as the Cathedral piazza, via Dante, and a couple of hotels. I also focussed on two of the greatest pieces of art in the world, the Last Supper by Leonardo daVinci and Rondanini Pieta, by Michelangelo, both worth the trip and quickly came to the conclusion that I must return to Milan soon strongly making the case that Milan is indeed a worthwhile stop for a few days. But I knew that anyway, since it was after all, I who created this show ! I know my great places, no mystery there regarding Milan's brilliance! Next week we will have interviews with five wonderful and interesting people, all friends and family. My daughter, Jen, makes her debut along with several Woodstock neighbors. So for now, thanks for reading and Buona notte e buona fortuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment