Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Elusive Perfect Show

It is nice to have had the experience of not having to be apprehensive about whether there will be a show as the minutes count down to air-time. This was it !!!!! Ellen and I went through the series of steps that precede the beginning, connecting cables, pressing the right buttons, sound checks, etc. flawlessly. Although shocked by the incredible smoothness, I was nonetheless waiting for the other shoe to drop, but there were at 5 PM, with Ellen whispering, "The DVD is in. Quiet on the set." Wow. Well maybe the second DVD player won't work as has occurred several times. For this part there would be no way to determine until later.

The show was devoted to the interviews of Americans I have conducted over the past several months, and came off perfectly. One lady even went to the show not aware she was on it, and was delighted to see her interview. Everyone came off very well, and even I was pleased with my own performance. It is good stuff to interview people without a lot of Italian travel experience. I would certainly like to do more, but with the poor results I have gotten from people who promised to do it, and then backed out, I have become reluctant to approach people. I would surely love to do more, and maybe I will continue to try. Anyway that part of the show was fine.

I spoke about my first Library Forum which I did last Monday. Despite the presence of only five people, it was a lot of fun. They even asked me to lead a tour, which I have done several times for friends and family, but never for "strangers". My next forum is Tues Jan 29 in Kingston. I also gave additional information about the relief sculpture Laura photographed in the Jewish Ghetto of Rome last May, making mention of it. Then after the show Ellen told me there was a date on it which could have some meaning. When I got home I researched the date and found that October 16, 1943 was the date that over 2,000 Jews were deported to Auschwitz, with only a handful returning home, so I now I will make mention of that on next week's show. We must continue to remind everyone of the absolute nightmare that Jews experienced in those horrible years, truly a holocaust.

The show ended perfectly, both DVD players worked fine, I downloaded to my computer, uploaded to Youtube, all in a period of a couple of hrs, and then today realized I had forgotten something I wished to do - acknowledging my mother's and father's 82 wedding anniversary. They were both gone now, but some mention would have been nice, and I will yet again pick up the pieces next week.

Thanks for reading and have a great week.


No comments:

Post a Comment