Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Return to the Fold

When I began to write this blog it was my intention to only write about my experiences producing the TV show. It has evolved into a lot of things related to my many projects, the books I have written, lectures I have given, classes, library forums, and of course the show itself. Then it transformed itself into me basically thinking out loud, and I haven't felt completely comfortable with that. I am known as a pretty opinionated guy, and who wears his heart on his sleeve, so if there is anyone out there in cyber land who actually knows me, then you certainly understand what I am saying.

Nonetheless, since my favorite things to do are to write and talk about myself (i.e. my very "successful" TV show), here is a tidbit you might find interesting. As many of you might know, ten years ago I retired as a high school assistant principal (Chairman of Mathematics), and then 2 1/2 years ago from my other job as a college lecturer. Well I have made the preliminary feelers out to my old college in Manhattan to possibly return in Fall 2013. This decision has been a long time coming. I tried retirement, filling up my time swimming, walking, guitar playing, reading, watching TV, producing a TV show on public access, writing books and blogs, lecturing and "teaching" about Italy, and of course planning trips there. The past year has been exciting, but when people attempt to tell me that I have successfully "redefined" myself as an Italian Guru, I feel uncomfortable to a certain degree. I would like to believe that, but frankly I miss the old jobs a lot, especially making some money along the way, which I did very successfully for 41 years.

I would love to become a high school principal. I think I would be good after 26 years as middle level supervisor. Going from total 7 day a week freedom to working my ass off, is hard to imagine, albeit very, very tempting. I think I could be very effective. There is so much that needs to be done in education. So I will mull that concept of trying to move in that direction or the much less taxing role as a college teacher of mathematics, which would be 2 days a week, although very difficult days for a guy who has not done much for almost 3 years.

Probably I will return to college teaching in NYC, possibly, but unlikely, up around here. I was very, very good (pardon my immodesty) at teaching math, so that would work, and I would be finally making some money again to feed the beast, i.e. Italy. Meanwhile I promise to write my regular blog after the Friday show, with guest appearance by Ric, about Marino Marini.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment