Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Strange Week

It was a week full of strange episodes. I am doing a library forum soon and Thursday evening someone called, sounded very strange wanting to confirm that I would indeed be doing it at that time and place. I thought he was fingering me for a rub-out and told him so, since I had no idea who he was or how he got my phone number. When I sounded a bit too paranoid, he hung up on me, which prompted my calling him back. We spoke for 30 minutes and it turns out he was trying to "help, by videotaping the lecture and then advising me on what I did wrong." Imagine that a former assistant principal and college professor and a guy who has his own cable TV show being told what to do to reach people ! I spoke with him long enough to determine that I was not in any danger, and then invited him to try to make it Tuesday evening, because now I wanted to meet him.  Then around that time I had a verbal issue with a "friend" on Facebook. I am always getting myself into trouble on Facebook which is why I love writing this blog. I can pretty much say whatever I want, and know nobody will get mad at me. After deactivating my account for 72 hrs, I found myself missing it, so I'm back, but one friend less.

A few other issues came up last week, including, for this blog audience, the possibility of giving up everything related to Alan's Italy, and getting some kind of job that pays real money ! For a couple of days I actually felt a strong compulsion to give up the TV show. That seems to have passed and everything is now "normal." I have decided tentatively to go back to work as a college teacher in the Fall, and started to make the necessary connections and arrangements. I miss teaching mathematics to young adults, so the 3 years I will have taken off, actually will have served a very useful purpose, i.e. making me miss my former life. I am happy about that, but having a slightly difficult time waiting until late August to begin. I even volunteered to do substitute teaching at the college this semester, getting my feet wet. I might be able to start right away for the spring, but I have many commitments made before my big decision, so that would probably not work that well. I have 2 library forums, and an 8 week continuing education course I am teaching at New Paltz College, plus, of course, our trip we are planning for late May into early June in Italy.

Now the show, Alan's Italy Show # 51 in which my friend, Franc Palaia did his usually wonderful job of explaining his work. Ellen had the usual difficulty getting on the air, this time portending a possible cancellation of the entire show. I never cancelled a show when I had a guest; since Franc traveled a long way to get there, I would have been very upset. Nonetheless, I tried to maintain my calm with him, telling him, quite truthfully, that she usually figures out the problem. That is exactly what happened and off we went into a great time, as you would see if you watched the show. My wife pointed out when I got home that the show had little to do with Italy - except for the ten minute segment at the beginning and the photos in the opening montage. I said well, some of his work had to do with it, but hey, I like it so that's my show. When the show actually comes to a close, I may never again have the chance to do something completely in my control, so whatever I wish to do, this is the chance to do it. When the show ended Ellen told us that the DVD didn't make a second copy. When I got home and looked at it, I saw that the DVD showed only Franc and me and no images. It even showed us fooling around passing notes back and forth during the opening which lasts for 2 1/2 minutes. Once Ellen indicates, "Quiet on the set," everything stops except for the music and images. I usually just sit back and relax, but with Franc there I got a little goofy. I insisted to Ellen that I take the "bad dvd" home, and now have archived it with all the others.

Next week I am revisiting Venice for the first time in over a year. The first show was Venice and then I just did other things, but now we are back to Venice, setting the stage for our trip coming up in 3 1/2 months to La Serenissima. I will show basically the same photos, but grouped by category and probably a much better production overall. I just saw the first show and it was pretty crude, so this should be much better, and, of course, it is Venice, a stunning location.

In the meantime one of my friends, and perhaps among the finest five people I ever knew had a terrible tragedy; his wife of 24 years passed away after a very long illness. She fought courageously for years, and finally succumbed. She too was sweet and wonderful, and I along with everyone who knew her will miss her. My hope is that dear friend has the strength to deal with this terrible event, and eventually comes to realize how so very lucky he was to have had such an extraordinary marriage. Life deals us horrible blows, and he and she were lucky to have had such a great relationship for a quarter century. May he eventually enjoy the incredible memories of their romance, and carry on as I know she would wish him to do. My very warmest wishes and love go out to him and his family during this dreadful time. Alan's Italy Show # 52, with his permission, will be dedicated to her memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment