Wednesday, January 18, 2017

New Territory - Feedback Requested

I know people don't like to write to me when I request feedback, but really this one time I would like to here what people think. The show that will soon to posted to Youtube was a difficult one to put together. I did many new things like focusing extra long on maps, showing photos without commentary attached, and moving fast from place to place. I would like to first explain why I did what I just described to you.

I want people to travel around Tuscany; that is the theme of the show. I seek to show people how to do that by train, bus, and car. Designating five major areas and then narrowing that down to a few places within those groups took a lot of planning and time. I know as well as anyone how difficult it is to focus on places with which a person is unfamiliar, and because of that I created detailed maps to facilitate that process. Therefore, there are times when I am narrating, that a map is on the screen for a long time, much longer than I ever did before. I don't want people to get bored, but I find that a necessary evil if people are serious about traveling around Tuscany.

Second, I talk about an area of Tuscany generally during the map/landscape phase, but when I actually show photos of the further landscape and towns, there are periods of no sound. I thought about that for a while that rather than just some trivial banal narration, I would let the images speak for themselves. Remember that all these areas have been spoken about extensively over the course of the five years of Alan's Italy.

Third, I move quickly. I am talking about quite a few towns and since I had covered most of those (if not all) in older shows, I did not dwell on places. If a viewer wishes more detail, then I suggest going back through older shows, finding the appropriate number, and spending more time with my narration.

So, there it is, and I would like to know how people, especially some of my viewers (and readers) who have come all this way with me feel about how this all looked. As I said, it was difficult to cover so much. The reason for the show to begin with had to do with the previous show, 134 on the Tour of Florence where I did not do justice to Tuscany, but simply placed it in that group of five things a first time (or second or third) tourist could do after the initial two days which I considered "mandatory."

The show will be up soon. Please have a look and send me a line either on Facebook or at Alansitaly@gmail.com. Thanks for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment