Saturday, December 14, 2013

Some Major Changes

Well, after laboring with the concept of a show about nighttime scenes in Venice and elsewhere throughout Italy, and finally scheduling the show for this Friday, Dec 20, I have changed my mind yet again. This Friday will be the beginning of the third year of broadcast, so we feel that a celebration is in order. That alone would have caused a modification of the schedule, but then we decided to finally do the show on the 55th Venice Biennale. I was always reluctant to do that one, but Laura convinced me, and it is on the calendar. So for those of you who follow the actual broadcasts and subsequent appearances on Youtube here is the current schedule:

Friday, Dec 20 - Show # 84 - The Second Anniversary Special

Friday, Jan 3 - Show # 85 - The Florence Baptistery with Analysis by Ric Hirst

Friday, Jan 17 - Show # 86 - The 55th Venice Biennale

Friday, Jan 31 - Show # 87 - Nighttime Magic

Friday, February 14 - Show # 88 - Carsulae with Ric Hirst

During the special this next Friday evening, I will put together a slide show featuring the highlights of the past year's 37 live broadcasts, plus five of my favorite videos. It is only appropriate to make this celebration an annual event so here it is. Following that would have to be Ric's analysis of the amazing Florence Baptistery scene of one of the most famous competitions in the world of art won out by Lorenzo Ghiberti in the early 15th century. Then we move on to the 55th Venice Biennale where I will cover a couple of dozen exhibitions complete with stunning photos and really strange videos. Then finally the next show will feature the nighttime magic of Italy, hopefully. This last show has been reworked and postponed several times, so I am hoping for the best. Then we cover an amazing archeological site that was extensively photographed by Ric Hirst during a recent visit. I never even heard of Carsulae, but after seeing the images and speaking with Ric, we agreed to reveal this almost totally obscure location in Italy to the world. It will be an amazing adventure. Then I have a series of three shows on the incredible 19th century photos of Italy, starting with Florence (part 2), and then going to Tuscany, and then all of Italy, especially Rome. Then I have some more stuff that will bring us up to this year's trip to Italy.

On other fronts I accidentally hit a deer with my car tearing my right side mirror off the hinges ! It has since been repaired, but up here anything is possible ! I never even saw the animal, and actually thought I might have hit another car that was parked on the side of the road without lights, but my mechanic knows better.

Other than that my school semester is ending, and it is hard to believe that 14 weeks have taken place already. I gave my final last week and will give the students a second chance next Thurs after a review on Tuesday. So far I have 82 % passing in one class and close to 60 % in the other. I hope to improve on both those numbers. The students were very grateful for my help, and spared no adjective describing their delight at having finally fulfilled that very important requirement. I will miss this first group of students after my 3 year hiatus. I hope to be offered classes for the spring semester which begins on January 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment