Saturday, December 21, 2013

Happy Anniversary to Me

After two years we have made it to 84 shows, unthinkable possibility back in the spring of 2011 when everything seemed to a monumental hassle with insurmountable obstacles. Back then starting in June 2011 until we finally went on the air on December 16, 2011, every move I made involved some kind of failure, consultation with "someone who knew," shelling out more and more money, traveling to far fetched places for equipment, not to mention my own terror at the prospect of going on the air live in front of friends I known for years, some of whom were very non supportive. I gave up on the project at least a dozen times until Ellen and I did a taped broadcast on Dec 9. After that show I caved in saying to Ellen, "let's just do it live !" Then week after week there were myriad problems with the live broadcast, problem after problem, issue after issue, very discouraging continuing to this day. It is really hard to believe we have lasted two years and 84 shows.

So now here we are, Alan's Italy, iconic to a degree in the area of public access in the Hudson Valley, plus a variety of other projects, two books, a website, lectures, courses, blogs, press credentials, interviews with well known international artists, being recognized by people on boats in Venice, and on and on all beginning in that little studio in Woodstock. It's really amazing. I am not deluded to believe I am famous or anything, in fact we are still very amateur in a lot of aspects including the actual broadcasts and subsequent videos.

So taking all that for the face value of what it is, I have this cable access TV show with amazing stuff going on. There are innovative ideas with really amazing photos, videos, interview, and marvelous analysis of art by Ric Hirst. All of this appears on Youtube where we have had close to 11,000 hits, a blog approaching 5,000 reads, and countless viewers in the Hudson Valley.

For the future here is what to expect. A show which is broadcast live every other week and will appear on Youtube followed by a blog and an occasional intermittent blog thrown in. For the next trip to Italy I will bring home a couple of dozen potential shows focusing on three areas, Western Tuscany, Cinque Terre, and Lake Como, plus whatever we can do in Florence which may not happen since we will be there for only two days. That will take us through the next year and at the rate of two a month, that's a full year of broadcasts. The shows will focus on the usual stunning photos, interesting video taped interviews, and some very original stuff as well. Plus I still have about a dozen shows developed months ago.

Yet it is all still a hobby for me, since I am now back to my profession of mathematics education which I cherish beyond words. But your following my blogs and Youtube site is very important to me, and I will try to make the whole experience for you my reading and viewing audience as rewarding as possible. Thank you !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment