Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Dedication, A Correction, and Ric's Magic

As I was preparing the show which would focus on the second part of the analysis of the Museum of the Duomo's great art in Florence, I decided to include a couple of items of note. First after I recalled that the Sistine Chapel was not actually completed on November 1, 1512 as I had implied the week before, only the ceiling, I showed the corrected slide indicating that fact. I used the opportunity to do a small history of the Sistine Chapel which was built earlier, in the 15th century. Then I decided, after watching the John Stewart TV show The Daily Show a few hours earlier to include a dedication to the President of the USA, which was not newly elected to his second term, Barack Obama, but Nate Silver whose statistical analysis of the recent election was perfect. USA, in this case, stood for United States of Arithmetic noting the fact that his calculations were quite simple in relation to many of the more accepted prognosticators. Nate Silver has now predicted correctly two presidential elections in a row, 2008, and 2012, with stunning accuracy. Then we proceeded to do the show, Alan's Italy Show # 41, in which Ric focussed on several of my favorite sculptures at this great museum right behind the incredible Cathedral. I was really looking forward to hearing his analysis of Donatello's Mary Magdalene and  il Zuccone, and the highlight of the museum, Michelangelo's Deposition. His narrative were, of course, outstanding, interesting, and fun. I hope the audience derived as much enjoyment as I did. Ric is scheduled for many more appearances in the future analyzing the work of Marino Marini,  helping me narrate the Lazio towns of Viterbo and Tuscania, and doing several more shows to be named later. Ric is absolutely amazing in his ability to analyze great art.

The course I was teaching at the Lifespring Saugerties Program ended this past week after the abbreviated five sessions rather than the scheduled six due to storms. I had to end with Tuscany rather than continue down to Rome for the finale. I asked to return next Fall to continue with Rome, Umbria, Campania, Lazio, perhaps some more Tuscany or switching gears and focusing on Great Piazzas of Italy and also Great Churches. I have not heard as yet as the Curriculum Committee must decide who is selected as Presenters. It was fun presenting to "real" people instead of talking to a camera as I do each week on my show. Meanwhile I will start to prepare for my presentation in the New Paltz Lifetime Learning Program (eight classes instead of six) which starts in mid March, and the two library forums I will be doing in Woodstock and Saugerties in February. I am waiting for the editing process of my second book, Alan's Italy: My Personal Journey to be completed, and publication to begin, before the two forums.

In the meantime my new website, www.alansitaly.com, will debut hopefully on Monday, November 12 if the promise one of my book representatives gave me last week comes to pass. The website simply unifies all of my projects in one easy to reach place. On the "News Page" will be located links to all my projects: teaching, forums, blogs, and Youtube site, Alan's Italy Channel. It will also have some of my favorite photos of Italy (in color), and a way to access each of my two books for purchase. I will keep you informed, but until then please enjoy my shows on Youtube and this blog. Gazie mille per lettura e buona sera.

No comments:

Post a Comment