Saturday, February 11, 2012

Return visit to Rome, but first a moment of horror

Of all the extraordinary experiences I have had producing this television show that Woodstock Public Access has given me the privilege of doing over the past several months, no feeling has come even close than the exhilaration, excitement, enjoyment, tension, anxiety, and outright fear of performing the show live each week. Many of the problems that we have encountered over that time have somehow been worked out thanks to the dedication, ingenuity, and commitment of my engineer, Ellen, and another technician, Richard, along with my steadfast desire to not let this opportunity go to waste. The only editing I have engaged in was removing some extraneous sound we once had; otherwise what you see in the videos, has been exactly how it goes in the live broadcast. That is the philosophy of the station, and I have embraced that concept with genuine respect and commitment. Yesterday just after the introductory montage of photos, I turned back to my computer ready to start the flow of photos for my presentation, when to my  utter horror I saw a screen I had never seen before. Frantically I tried to figure out what was going on, but to no avail. My first reaction was to scream very loudly, "HELP" ! But we were live, broadcasting not only to the Woodstock, NY area, but streaming throughout the world. I tried to maintain a calm demeanor while letting my engineer know I was having a problem. My mind was racing with intense anxiety. I tried to fix the problem, while saying to myself, ok if I can't get the photos to work, can I talk for the next 50 minutes about Rome. I realized that I had that marvelous 10 minute segment answering the five questions posed by Lily, but could I fudge the next 40 minutes ! Finally I decided to try something that made sense and it worked ! Although the show continued at that point as planned, I was shaken pretty badly by that experience, but tried very hard to not let my viewing audience see that. Eventually I settled down and it was actually quite smooth from then on. When I got home my wife asked me what was going on and why it lasted so long. We thought it went on for several minutes, because she shared my horror, but it turned out to have been maybe a minute or less. I now have the option of editing that part out on Youtube, but I am reluctant to do so. Since the Youtube videos are not simply an Italy travelogue, but a documentary of the total experience of my producing and performing the show live every week, I have chosen to leave everything just as it happened, in an honest attempt to record the moment in totality. I may change my mind at some time in the future, but right now I feel a kind of pride about that terrible period, when for what seemed like an eternity, I felt the terror of what it must have been like when shows were performed live back during the early days of television that I remember so well as a child back in the 1950's. So if you are wondering what happened, why it did happen, and what I was thinking during it all, well, then there it is. As always thank you for taking the time to read this, and to watch the shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment