Saturday, February 25, 2012

Michelangelo in Florence

Armed with the tools Michelangelo would have used in his sculptures, and a lifetime of experience as a sculptor, Ric Hirst gave expert commentary on one of the world's greatest geniuses. After a rocky opening with the ubiquitous broadcast problems, we started flawlessly and covered a wide variety of topics not chronologically, because to view each of Michelangelo's over 20 works of art that way would require going into and out of museums all afternoon. Rather we stayed with the same venue and simply gave historical background and analyzed each piece. Working with my very good friend, Ric, on the show was as much a joy as it is sitting around his living room sipping a glass of his always outstanding wine, and shooting the breeze about our favorite topic, Italy. Bantering back and forth about Michelangelo, his life, times, and works of art felt as natural as it could be. Ric even showed his tools and explained how the great genius used those tools to create magic out of marble. His insights into the famous unfinished works at the Galleria Accademia were extraordinary and wonderful. Florence is a fascinating city under any circumstance, but the idea of sightseeing by going to the great museums and churches with a particular theme in mind is a worthwhile endeavor. That was also part of my goal with this show, ok, yet another excuse to visit my favorite place on earth. I will revisit Florence many times in the future focussing on different themes including, but not limited to, the smaller, less famous museums, the parks, piazzas, marvelous churches, and a segment on the people who work in my favorite hotel, including the owner. A lady called us after the show to tell me that my show is a "gift to the people of Woodstock," which brought tears to my eyes. One of my goals in this endeavor has always been to provide a public service to my neighbors in an area in which I could be helpful. I love Italy and I love Wookstock and melding the two is very special for me, and its icing on the cake to be able to embrace any opportunity to make a contribution to its residents. Thanks to Ric and also to the people of Woodstock for their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment