Friday, June 10, 2016

My Favorite Bridges and a Whole Lot More

This week I labored with several different ideas to put together for my first broadcast off the "new season." My original idea was to simply do the Favorite Bridges Show that was planned before we left for Italy. Then after a memorable 12 day trip, I decided that perhaps I should focus on trip taking in general and the specific trip we just took. Then while in Florence I decided that maybe I should take photos of some unique experiences I was having in a city that I have seen extensively since 1992. The upshot was a show which combined all three concepts. Thus I start out thanking our friends for making our trip amazing, then I talk about my unique experiences accompanied by about a dozen photos I took during a solo day strolling about in Florence, and the concluding with the Bridges. The result was a quick (seemingly, even though the show was over 50 minutes long), lively, fun show which not covered a lot of ground, but kept me very much engaged during my current period of jet lag from my trip home, anxiety over my impending cataract surgery, and general tiredness. There were, however, two mistakes. First I queried why Ghirlandaio's painting of the San Marco Cenacolo was placed at San Marco, when in actuality it is a fresco commissioned during the 15 th century for the monastery. Second I was may have mistaken about the America Vespucci Bridge in Florence in a photo showing the westernmost bridges. No excuses. Just for me, same old, same old.

Jet lag is becoming worse each year we travel. Waking up at 4 AM in the morning (10AM Italy time), ready for bed no later than 9 PM (3 AM the next morning Italy time), and getting hungry at strange times. When I get out of bed at say 9 AM, it is really 3 PM and I would have already had breakfast and lunch......and on and on. Other bodily issues such as constipation, grogginess all the time, disorientation, and lethargy. Put that together with the prospect of cataract surgery, which admittedly I have heard is no big deal from dozens of people, I was really quite out of it this week. I was resolved not to do a show. Then mid-week I felt that in order to take my mind off the surgery scheduled for next Tuesday, I would have to keep very busy. Therefore I went to the YMCA twice since returning, put together a show, wrote a blog (Friends, Food, and Fabulous Views), did a wash, went to the local dump, went shopping, went to the bank, registered at the hospital, wrote several emails to my friends in Italy, and watched a lot of TV. It all helps.

The future for Alan's Italy is very much in doubt. I have no idea what my vision will be like after Tuesday. Will I be able to drive? Read? Watch TV? Put together another show? Everything is up in the air and will remain so until I can get a handle on my condition. Even if the surgery goes smoothly and I can see 20 - 20 long distance I will need new reading glasses for close up work like doing prep for a new show and I will have to wait until after surgery number 2 on my left eye and then some, so maybe not for weeks. I will try to keep my dedicated followers up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment