Friday, August 30, 2013

A Busy Week and Pay Dirt With Venice Hotels

The week began with an orientation at the college to which I was returning. I learned some new things I had missed during the past 3 years during my retirement. Then Wednesday at 8 AM Ellen and I had reserved the TV studio to retape Alan's Italy Show # 70 on the Palazzo Bembo Exhibition, Part 1. I found it a fine experience doing a show at 8 AM instead of the usual 5 PM. I just kind of rolled out of bed, drove to the studio, did the show, drove home, and carried on with my day. Ellen and I spent some time at the beginning deciding exactly what we needed to do to make this the "perfect" show. Nonetheless, there were a few blips, so when we finished, she took it home and used her expertise to edit it to "perfection." It will probably be uploaded to Youtube tomorrow.

On Thursday I resumed my college teaching career by opening the school semester with my students. I longed for this moment for a long time, ever since I had "retired" in 2010. The epiphany I had during the past 3 years was that this is my life's purpose, teaching, and hope to continue as long as the college wants me or as long as my health holds up. It was a stupendous experience being back in front of a class, better than I ever imagined. There were no problems, I was relaxed, happy to be there, and I loved my students, once again being thankful for loving my job.

Tonight at 3 PM Laura noticed that there were several photos which had not been edited so she began to do that as I rested for my show. Then I did this show at the usual time. Alan's Italy Show # 74: A Story of Three Hotels in Venice is the story of the Venice part of the last trip we took to Italy in May/June 2013. I talked about why we stayed at three different places during the seven days, and showed some photos of the hotels. It also gave me yet another chance to show photos of Venice including quite a few from water taxis (motor boats basically), and vaporettos (water buses). The show was smooth as silk and except for mistakenly identifying the Rialto Bridge (I actually did that once before in the heat of a live broadcast with the SAME bridge !!!). This time the problem was a combination of bad eyesight, looking quickly at the Accademia Bridge with all the recent construction and thinking that the construction was really the stores of the Rialto. I quickly corrected myself. Other than that, I was pleased, and Ellen was as well. It will soon be on Youtube.

Next week is a real treat as I will be focussing on the recent Italian election during which the fledgling Movimento Cinque Stelle took 25 % of the vote. In the show I will be interviewing two elected officials, a town councilman and a representative in their parliament. It is a fascinating show filled with extraordinary tales of how an unfunded true grass roots movement similar in some ways to our Occupy Wall Street Movement, but far, far, far more organized and successful managed to shock the country's electorate and government with a series of stunning victories. Please join us for some great interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment