Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sigh, Almost Perfect (except for several errors)

During the week prior to doing a show I put together the entire presentation on Monday at the latest, and it is assumed that throughout the coming week, I will be altering a variety of aspects. I also check spelling of names and places and dates trying my very best to be perfect. This previous week was no different, as I combed through everything working diligently. On Friday evening, I arrived at the studio very early, about 4:15 and Ellen and I set up everything, and did the various sound checks, lighting arrangements, and made sure everything was ready. Then I took a 10 minute nap, and at about 4:55 went back to the table checked a few things on my computer, and proclaimed to Ellen that I was ready and just await her word and we will be on our way yet again, for the 44th time. We did everything and I launched into a show that I had been planning and looking forward to for months. I love the churches of Florence. Ever since my first visit in 1992 I have been studying the art in just about all the churches but with an eye to 3 of them, Ognissanti, Santa Trinita and Santa Maria Novella. I have never been to Florence and not visited those three. I know quite a bit about them, and also continued to do some research the week before. One of the reasons I love these so much and have spent so much time there is that they display the art of Domenico Ghirlandaio in situ, that is in the spot they were created. The chapels he had adorned are among the most amazing in the world. The Tournabuoni in Santa Maria Novella, and Sassetti in Santa Trinita are unbelievable in their realism, linear perspective, and color. I have studied Ghirlandaio for years and have a giant book about his life and work. As I indicate on the show I love the story told by Irving Stone in the Agony and the Ecstasy of how Ghirlandaio gave Michelangelo his start in the year 1488. When I began to do the show I just knew it was going to be amazing, and the only problem I could foresee was to temper my enthusiasm or else I might lose my concentration. As I performed the show, I was about as excited as I have ever been, and even during the show said to myself, this is just going to be the best show ever. Then as I viewed the slide showing the famous self portrait of Ghirlandaio with the dates of life indicated at the bottom, I realized that instead of indicating "1449 - 1494" I had printed "1949 - 1494". (Incidentally look at those numbers !!!)I felt like crawling under the table and never coming out. I was so angry with myself, that it was all I could do maintain my calm as I plowed through the next few minutes. That's what happens when you do a live show; there is absolutely no room for error. I didn't cave in, but carried on very well, much better than I thought I would. A year ago, I would sat there wondering why I did this project of Alan's Italy at all, probably telling the audience what a dunce I was. I indicated on this show that it was an error indicating some consternation, but then I was fine.

As I was reviewing the uploaded version to Youtube, I realized that I had made even more mistakes. I refer to the special anniversary show as being shown on Dec 7 instead of Dec 14. I also referred to the long part of the church as the "apse" instead of as the "nave". Perfection and I have not yet met and probably never will. Ah the essence of the live show !!!!

As my readers have already realized, although I have an outstanding life with excellent health, life is indeed a challenge for me. Nothing has or ever has for that matter come easily. Some of this has been revealed here in my blogs, and some in my two books. My third book also talks about that. I struggle with just about everything, good or bad, and continually fight myself amid my proclivity for being anything but perfect. Most friends and family have told me that it is impossible to be perfect for anyone, not just me. Why I even try to be so is a mystery to me. Nonetheless I carry on, do well, at least as I suspect people think of me, and as I have indicated, manage to somehow entertain and interest people with my passion for Italy. And of course thank you so much for putting up with me and reading these blogs. Next week, Dec 14, I will celebrate the one year anniversary of Alan's Italy with a special retrospective slide show and some never before seen videos of my travels. I hope you tune in to take a look. On December 21 I start my second year with Ric Hirst narrating a show on the very underrated and largely unknown artist Marino Marini.

No comments:

Post a Comment