Friday, December 21, 2012

Adventures in Broadcasting

It was 4 PM and I was ready to leave for the studio. Ellen called to say, "Time Warner cable is not working. We do not seem to be broadcasting." "Impossible," I replied, "I am watching it now." We agreed to try to do a show and Ellen suggested that Laura call us at 5:05 to let us know if there was indeed a show being broadcast. I arrived at the studio, set up for the show, found out the Spanish Dancer would be practicing next door in the Community Center, and off we went into the evening's broadcast. As I was into the first few minutes, my wife called me on my cell indicating that there was nothing coming across her TV at home related to Alan's Italy. There was, however, the usual public service announcements that come across when no scheduled program is on. Suddenly Ellen realized that she had failed to pull a switch and did so immediately it was indicated to me over the phone that all was working well. I asked Ellen if we should start over, but she said that the DVD machine was working well, and that was the most important. I went back a few minutes reiterating some announcements for the people who watch live and missed those items I had spoken of at the outset. And off we went. It was fun talking about my favorite museums, but it is always a challenge with the Spanish Dancer doing her thing right beyond the door.

I spoke a little about our trip to Venice in May/June 2013 (see my next blog entry).Other than that first show a year ago on Venice, I haven't created much on it, so this is a great opportunity. I hope to obtain press credentials for the preview period which will permit me to interview some of the Biennale participants. I would also like to tour the city with several shows in mind such as the Jewish Ghetto, some famous bridges and churches, and perhaps some other famous museums. A significant portion of the material I will bring back will center around the 55th Biennale itself. I will also take day-trips to two cities that have always eluded me such as Padua and Ravenna. Padua if a short train ride from Venice, but Ravenna more of a challenge since it requires a change of trains, probably in Bologna. I am determined to finally get to view the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua after making and breaking two reservations during the past decade. For one reason or another there was always an issue that prevented me from getting there. Ravenna is the venue for the extraordinary Byzantine Mosaics

Tune in to Youtube for tonight's show # 46 - Secret Treasures of Florence focusing on the extraordinary eleven museums that are among my favorites in Florence. Next week we return to the Illuminated Photo Sculpture of Franc Palaia picking up where we left off last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment