Sunday, April 22, 2012

Magic on The Village Green, Levon , Barry, and me

This week Woodstock and the world of music lost one of its greats, Levon Helm, who finally succumbed to Cancer after 14 years of heroically fighting. I never met Levon, and for years put off going to his "Midnight Ramble" saying continually, oh we'll eventually go and see it. Well, now that can never happen, and it serves me right. I did see him playing guitar on the Village Green last year when he appeared at a celebration for Happy Traum and his years of service to music lovers everywhere, but especially Woodstock. I also attempted to take a picture of Levon and John Sebastian hugging by using my new cell phone to take the picture, but I was so overwhelmed by the sight of two music giants showing their love for each other that I fumbled the attempt. As far as the Ramble was concerned I read that Levon told someone that he only wished he could do it 7 days a week rather than once !! So onward passes a musical icon of majestic proportions. I still and always feel privileged to live in the same town as Levon Helm. This week, in fact the same day, a friend whom fewer people knew (but not that much fewer !), Barry Weinbrom also died after a long illness. Barry was also unique, but in a different way. I met him about 10 years in Florida at the home of two friends of mine. We hit it off immediately. I was still an assistant principal and he a science teacher, and always using his creative side to promote new projects. Barry never ceased trying to get people involved in his  wonderfully unique ventures. Indeed this was an extraordinary person. Barry was one of the most exuberant, positive thinking, and courageous people I ever knew. He could light up a room with his enthusiasm, and I admired him to a great extent. Two things stick in my mind. Barry was involved in one of his new projects, came to Woodstock to visit, and we and our wives were in my convertible driving up to some mountain to see the view one bright sunny summer's day. The song You Can Do Magic was playing on my CD player and Barry was very into this song, singing and dancing along with it and insisted that we play it over and over and over..... The ladies must have thought he was crazy, but I was impressed by his love of life and exuberance. When Barry was ill several years ago, I went to visit him in Brooklyn where he lived. He was about to undergo chemo for a presumed cancer condition, and he was unfazed, just as optimistic and positive as always. I told him he was amazing and an inspiration to anyone facing such a horrible thought. He was my hero, and I never told very many people that, except right here on this blog I have finally confessed ! Today I was on the village green and met a lady named Abbe who is known in town as the Kazoo Maker (she makes and sells them). She was playing her guitar and singing along, an average guitarist with a beautiful voice and a lot of guts, just like Barry. I thought to myself, this gal has magic !!! She stopped playing and put down her guitar, and said ok now you play. My God I have always wanted to play my guitar on the Village Green, but gee whiz, I stink at playing the guitar and also I have a lousy voice, but then I thought of Barry and Levon and impulsively started playing The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down, sung incredibly by Levon Helm. The combination of Levon and Barry playing with my mind made me quite carried away with emotion. I picked up the guitar and started playing and singing. I didn't remember the chords, or the lyrics, but carried on undaunted. When I finished I felt fulfilled that I finally did it - I said to myself, there ya go Barry, I did magic, just like you always did. Goodbye to two giants.

No comments:

Post a Comment