Saturday, November 1, 2014

Mostly Unrelated to Italian Travel (But not totally)

I just bought a lottery ticket whose payout would be 321,000,000 before taxes. I said to myself that if God exists surely he would know (because he would certainly read minds) that I intend to give a lot of that to charity. Since I have played the lottery many times, I came to the conclusion that in all probability God doesn't exist.

This reminded me of a story I heard on the West Wing TV series (for which I recently started to blog). A guy is living in a house in a town where there is going to be devastating flood. He hears on the radio: "Get out of town fast. there is a flood coming." He says, "Nah, I don't have to worry. God will protect me." The town floods, and he climbs to the roof of his house. A rowboat passes by with some rescue workers inside, one of whom screams at the guy, "Get in this row boat or you will die in the flood!" "Nah," screams our guy, "God will protect me." Then a helicopter passes by and screams down at him with the water almost on top of him, "Hey, we will lower a ladder. Climb up the ladder to our helicopter." "No," again our guy screams, "I have faith that God will protect me!!!"

Well the guy drowns and when he gets to Heaven, he asks to see God. "God," he whispers softly, "I have always been a loyal believer. I was certain you would have protected me from the horrible flood waters. What happened?" God replies: "I sent you a radio broadcast, a rowboat, and a helicopter. What the Hell are you doing here?"

Well I have been blessed with good health, a wonderful family (many of them anyway), great friends (some), a great career, love for Italy, and many other wonderful things. So what is my problem believing in God?

Putting together Alan's Italy Episode # 103 this weekend. Cannot wait. It is featuring one of the great gifts I have received from............ Matteo Pasini, the owner of Hotel Villa Steno in Monterosso al Mare granted me an interview when we were there last May. I will also begin talking about oner of the most beautiful towns in Italy, starting with Old Town and continuing the next show with New Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment