Friday, July 11, 2014

New Territory for Me

For the first time I attempted to discuss, solo, the art of a great Renaissance Painter. For the occasion I chose my favorite artist Domenico Ghirlandaio. I have loved his work and his story for over 20 years, so using him for my inaugural foray into unknown territory seemed appropriate. Although I knew quite a bit about his life and work, I did tremendous amounts of research over the past several weeks. Other than a slight mixing of the photos within the actual album from iPhoto (reason unknown), the show was acceptable to me. At the time I felt uneasy, insecure, and seemed to fumble my way through. Ellen told me it was wonderful, and upon further scrutiny at home came to the same conclusion. For some reason I am always quite hard of myself. In this case I had bad news about periodontal work I would be undergoing soon, so did not seem to have my full concentration. Nonetheless, examination of everything indicates a fairly good presentation, crisp(despite some fumbling around because of the mixed-up photos), and I appear competent.

Usually I would do a show of this type with Ric Hirst, but with him out of the picture, I am flying solo. I like doing art broadcasts, however, and will attempt to do more. I would still like to focus on sculpture and will try to get something together on my favorite sculpture museum, The Bargello. Also, I would like to do some shows on some more artists such as Raphael and perhaps Fra Angelico. I would prefer to focus on less famous artists, not Leonardo, or Michelangelo whom Ric and I did twice, in Florence and Rome.

Meanwhile we near the time when Laura will have completed the editing of the photos we just came home from Italy with. I will download soon and begin to put together albums which will be turned into shows. I saw some of them and they appear to be spectacular. I have several ideas that I developed during the summer so far not including these newer photos, and would like to not have to use the newer stuff until I have consumed more of that. Not sure as yet how many shows could be created from the 2000 or so show photos of the areas we visited, and would very much like to take my time with that process. Therefore, you may not see one of these newer shows until the fall. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment