Saturday, March 1, 2014

After a Week of Decision Making, a Great Show

After a week of thinking about how to modify the broadcast schedule to allow for the fact that I am running low on ideas for shows, and the time to think creatively, I nonetheless had a great show. First the dilemma. I am almost totally into my college teaching, sending e mails to students with progress reports, preparing lessons, traveling into the city, etc. I also work out the Y, am writing a book which is kindly being edited by one of my oldest friends, so the show has taken a back seat. I will be working most of today developing shows for the next few months. I have about 5 or 6 ideas, so if I did one a month I could then get to Italy and back with enough photos and fresh ideas to continue. Ellen told me I could cut back, so right now that appears to be the best way to go. I was reluctant to tell her because I know how much she likes to engineer the project. After today I will know more about the future.

Meanwhile, I finally did the show using the Alinari photos of 19th century Florence after a year and a half hiatus. Show # 24, Florence, Then and Now focused on the comparison of how places looked back then compared to how they look today. It is a fascinating concept to examine photos of a specific location and try to analyze how they changed and why. Part of the reason is obviously the passage of time, modern improvements, and social and political issues. Trying to research which of these considerations is the reason is the best part. Trying to recall all this during a live show, in front of the camera, and with very limited notes (my fault), it is very daunting. I still get stressed doing a show, and this after 88 now. I come off much more relaxed than I am, believe me. It has been and always will be a struggle.

So this was part 2 of the 4-part story of 19th century Italy, with Florence well represented in the first two shows. My next one will focus on Tuscany in general outside of Florence, and then all of Italy. Now I have to get to work, so for now, ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment