Friday, October 25, 2013

Back on the Air

After a three week hiatus it was good to be back on the air doing my weekly show. It has been a wonderful respite, however, thinking about just how important this show is not only to me, but to my audience, which appears to be growing. I also had the chance, of course, to really get into my return to mathematics teaching realizing how much I loved my life's work, and realizing that I probably will noit wish to ever leave again except for illness, serious or otherwise.

Tonight's show was the opening episode of a three-part tour of Central Tuscan Towns near Florence beginning with Pistoia, a lovely town about 25 miles west of Florence, and the home of my dear friend, Lidia's sister and brother. In her brother Mario's house were we treated to a fine lunch cooked by Anna Lisa, Mario's wife and Lidia's sister, Chiara, both are outstanding Italian chefs. The lasagne they cooked was unreal, but just about everything was also. What a wonderful family she has. I just viewed the show and it was flawless except for a minor flub which everyone will realize was just a transposition of words. Instead of using the word "hospital", I said, "church" because I had churches on my mind. Except for that slight flub, I was completely pleased. The production by Ellen was absolutely her at her best. Also when I got home and downloaded it to my computer I noticed that the latest version of Handbrake, the software I use for such a process, gave me a better copy of the show off the DVD. When my computer tech, Dan, gave me the software after I switched computers, he had changed the settings, not because he thought these were better, but because he couldn't recall which settings he used two years ago. The result was that it now takes longer to download from DVD to computer, 20 minutes instead of 10 minutes, but the finished quality is definitely much better. So that is quite a bit serendipity for me. Now in the process of uploading to Youtube.

The evening was not without its problems. First there was a theatrical group rehearsing a play next door in the community center which caused some noise, but before we actually started. Then later there was a loud noise of dancing and screaming right in the middle of the show. And still later Ellen heard something like people on the roof of the center which, of course, houses the TV studio. Maybe Halloween is arriving earlier than expected. In the past I might have stopped to explain the noise to the audience, but this time I just trudged on, sighing within, but not skipping a beat nonetheless.

Next week we continue with the current series with our visit to Colle di Val d'Elsa and our visit and lunch with Laura's friend Matteo Cocci. He was appearing at a gallery there, Arte a Colori, and we have a wonderful interview with him and the gallery owner. Laura met Matteo on Facebook ! Imagine that. It started as a search for new artists, and ended with a visit to one of the really unique Tuscan towns. The town lies in the Central Tuscany area not far from San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, and the bus center town of Poggibonsi. I came across this town when I was researching San Gimignano many years ago and vowed to pay it a visit someday. Thanks to Laura that became a reaility. Had it not been for her meeting Matteo on Facebook, that would never have taken place. Colle has a lower town (ugly) and an upper town (stunningly beautiful). We, of course, toured the upper one. Tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment