Friday, April 19, 2013

Well Worth the Additional Challenges

As unaccustomed to creating a show with any other theme than Italy, I nonetheless diligently set out to orient myself to the origins of Woodstock Public Access Television by speaking with many people and reading the book Video Days written by one of the early creators of the station in the 1970's, Nancy Cain. The story seemed fascinating to me, and even though it would deviate from my usual Italian themes, and the format of the show would be strictly interview in nature, I braved ahead with the project. After the initial cancellation several months ago, we breathed new life into the project and tonight it finally came off fairly well. The show itself was excellent, and Bart and Tobe appeared to enjoy talking about the early days of public access. Ellen had many challenges to overcome, and did a wonderful job of running back and forth from the camera to console, engineering a really fine program. It was quite challenging for both Ellen and me, and we clearly have an easier time when it is just she and I, but we both knew we just had to try this project, and it was very successful. There are some production issues, as you will see when you view it on Youtube, such as delays in showing images, interruptions, and a shortened ending. Nevertheless, I am pleased we finally recorded the history of public access in the Hudson Valley of New York State.

Meanwhile, I created a link to Laura Gurton's Photos and you can now view hundreds of stunning photos of Italy. Just go to my website at www.alansitaly.com and go to the Activities Page, and you will find the new photos link (actually 2 links) at the bottom. The website previously contained only ten photos, but now many of the wonderful images she has taken over the years are there for everyone to enjoy.

Meanwhile more people viewed my Youtube site this week, 215, than any previous week since it began a year and a half ago. Cannot figure that out other than perhaps many of my students at New Paltz Lifetime Learning Institute may be taking a look. Other than that I am bewildered by the turnout. The class continues to be a joy, despite projection issues. We are half through the course, four down and four to go. Next week, Tuscany.

Next week's show will be Piazzas of Rome, a creation that I am very excited about featuring a dozen or more of the most exciting places to hang out in Rome. Back to the quiet studio with just Ellen and me, and my nice relaxing photos of Rome.


No comments:

Post a Comment