Friday, March 29, 2013

Sublime Delights & Extraordinary Experiences

For months I have been trying to put together a show which focusses on food in Italy. I eventually arrived at what I planned to a muli-focused attempt to capture the entire dining experience of Italy. I would first describe the importance of dining in Italy with emphasis on experiences involving family and friends. Then I would walk through a survey of all the different kinds of eateries, and then take the viewer through a typical day of eating concentrating on the three main meals with some treats along the way. As I created this show, I kept changing things until a few days ago finally felt comfortable with what I had with about 140 photos. As I examined the show more closely, I kept adding photos especially those which depicted some of our most wondrous moments especially how we met new friends and enjoyed the company of former ones. As ideas began to spring to mind, I added more and more until I wound up with close to 200 photos, way too much for the 60 minutes show. Nonetheless I waded through the plethora of memorable times. Eventually with only about ten minutes to go, Ellen reminded me that I had little time for a lot of material and I had to rush through. Had I planned this better from the start, I could have divided the show into two smaller ones with one concentrating on the dining experience and the second on the actual food.

Nonetheless the show was very enjoyable, despite some times when it was obvious I was rushing as evidenced by some mistakes on some simple matters. Since I don't know that much about food of any kind, I enjoyed talking about how the Italian dining experience had such an impact on my life of travel over the past 21 years, the new friends I made, the old ones who relationships were made closer through the dining experience, and the amazing times at friend's houses enjoying their culinary masterpieces. Being with friends at a fabulous restaurant is one of life's great pleasures and have been some of my most memorable experiences. I could have actually talked endlessly about dining, all three meals, because some (perhaps 30 - 50 %) of those cherished times which had the greatest impact on my Italophobia occurred during meals. The intimacy of dining creates magic moments some of which I explored on the show, and obviously many more which could probably make for a good book. Even Laura and I dining alone during our travels have had some really wonderful and no so wonderful experiences, all of which have left an indelible mark on our beings. Most of our discussions between us and friends have centered around an interesting dining experience. I could easily say that almost every meal we ever had can be remembered with fine detail almost to the point of knowing the actual courses and how they tasted, not because we are food fetishists, but because these are some of the exceptional moments. Whether we were at very informal places or some of the great locale, whenever forget a moment. Even though I covered many on the show there were sill many more unspoken. Perhaps a part 2 is appropriate.

My advice for anyone traveling in Italy is slow down, pick out some really great looking (some recommended by tour books) places, and make an effort to first choose great dishes, second try to make friends, and third bring people you know with you. Always talk to the waiters, maitre d's, chefs, and anyone else for the inside scoop on what it is like being Italian and working in a restaurant. Always try to go to places where there is a lot of Italian spoken; these are the natives who know where to go. Of course, if you do not speak Italian, hope that someone speaks a little English for the best results. Try to eat at informal, family-run places where they aim to please. I love the places down dark alley-ways, that seem to be places out of time and space that give a slight chill as you try to find them with the odor of smoke from chimneys wafting down narrow lanes. Ask your hotelier for suggestions, as they really know the best places. I understand that they probably get a kick-back for recommendations, but what the heck, we have never gone wrong with a hotel recommendation. Ask the hotel if reservation is necessary. Try to have a little wine, vino della casa (house wine) which is usually quite good, and have several courses. Laura and I usually share to make sure we get a variety. Some regional favorites are Bisteecca Fiorentina in, where else, Florence. Pici in Siena. Seafood on Lake Como. I love very simple, but incredibly delicious pasta ragu. Some good bruschetta to start, but we usually pass on dessert as by that time we are very full. And take your time and relax. Italian restaurants, trattorias, osterias, etc. do not rush you and never just bring over the check. Say "il conto, per favore," for the check. Most places take credit cards, which is not a shame on you and has no bearing on the quality of the food. People always tell me that any place that takes credit is not local and not good. That's not true at all. If you like the food, ask to see the manager to tell him/her or even the chef. It's a great compliment and who knows where it will lead. Restauranteurs take great pride in their presentation.

Thanks for reading and look for my tour of the great loggias, porticos, patios, and balconies of Italy on next week'a shoy, # 59. Grazie per la lettura. Ciao !

No comments:

Post a Comment