Friday, August 10, 2012

The Long Wait and a Late Start

I had arrived very early to take photos of the studio for my book, Alan's Italy: The Birth of a Television Show, and work proceeded on schedule as she photographed some shots as one enters the parking lot of the Community Center, where the studio is located. As we were parking to go inside the studio, Ellen was waiting outside to tell us that there was a show which has been given the 4 - 5 PM slot and we had to wait until 5 PM to set up for the 5 PM show ! Doing some quick mathematics, I soon came to the conclusion that we would not have enough time to get set up. Ellen assured me that we would get on the air, and she would shortcut her show which normally comes right after mine at 6 PM.At first we spoke with local personality, Joe Barton, who is having some problems with the legal system at the current time, as we waited patiently outside, but then I ducked into my car and tried to take a snooze, with my air conditioning on, and radio playing some of my favorite tunes. Just as Jimi Hendrix' Along the Watchtower came on, Ellen knocked on my glass and indicated that we could try to get in a bit earlier than 5 and see what happens. Of course, I had to wait for the end of the song, because, hey, you just cannot interrupt Jimi Hendrix in mid song. Eventually we entered the studio and began frantically to set up as quickly as possible. Somehow we managed to start, but almost twenty minutes late at 5:20 PM. I tried to be relaxed and I think succeeded for the most part as I began a show that I was looking forward to, the story of Luca and Mary taking us to eastern Tuscany for the via dei Sette Ponti, not really a street, but a country road through the mountains just south and east of Ltheir home in Figline Valdarno. The scenery was lovely, and the towns among the most charming and unique I have ever seen in Italy. The show came off flawless, except that once again Ellen had to use the Focus Method instead of the Tricaster. Otherwise everything went like clockwork, and thank goodness Ellen was the producer just after me, because otherwise I can't imagine what would have happened. So on the other front, my book about my show changed its name to the one above, and my second book, now almost finsished will be called Alan's Italy: My Personal Journey. So that's it for now. Buona notte.

No comments:

Post a Comment