Saturday, June 30, 2012

Balloons, Tillies, and record Number of Phone Calls

To celebrate my 25th show (amazing is all I can say) I wore my Tilley Hat, the characteristic hat I wear whenever I am on a trip and that everyone sees me wear in the photos of the show. So for the first time there I was hat on and asked the audience for phone calls to tell me how it looks. Just as I was telling people that this was the hat I wear when traveling, the phone rang, and there was Laura telling me that I should relate the reason I am wearing the hat. Since I had just finished telling the viewers that this is the famous hat they see in phtoso, I thought Laura had called to remind me to talk about the incredible reputation that Tillies have. I did that, but Laura thought that I should have shown photos of my wearing the hat on trips we have taken, so that may have to added. During the next few minutes two friends of mine called to reassure that the hat was a good idea. Nonetheless, I believe that I will only wear the hat for special occasions. This was the first time I here had 3 phone calls on one show. It was great, but while spending time on the phone, once I started the show quickly learned that those five minutes would set me back time wise from my initial planning. This show would be very special, because I was focussing on my favorite street in Florence, via della Scala, where I have spent the better of each trip to Florence at the hotel, Lidia's store, and several other places. It was a very personal story and I only hoped my viewers would enjoy it. I had some nice interviews with people from the hotel, with Lidia and some nice hotel pictures. The street itself is not very pretty, and charming as many others in Florence, but that wasn't the point, or was it. It was as if someone says something negative about a family member you have disparaged many times. Family is family, after all, and Alan's loves of places in Italy are also off bounds. LOL So, I had to do this show probably to satisfy some narcissistic reality. As the show was starting, and I began the initial segment, Ellen quickly told me to can it and start over. We did that and the show progressed flawlessly (except that I ran out of time without about 5 additional minutes of air time needed, so I did the usual rush job). When I came home to view the show in its entirety, I realized that when I placed the show on Youtube, I would have to cut that first aborted 30 second segment. As I was doing that, I realized that just as the introduction was beginning, balloons could be seen moving across the screen. At first I wanted to remove them, but then realized that conforming to the concept of this being the celebration of my 25th show, I should leave the balloons. Ellen later revealed to me that the balloons had been a mistake, a left over from a previous show. I told her today that it was genius of her to show the ballons in line with the festive air of the milestone I had achieved. Now I only hope I can have those balloons again for the 50th show; I could certainly wear the hat again ! Once again if you see the show and like the hat send me an email (Alansitaly@gmail.com) and let me how you like it. Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment